Jules Cluzel edges Team mate Zanetti To snatch Supersport win
After an 18 lap World Supersport opener, Jules Cluzel (MV Agusta Reparto Corse) came out victorious ahead of his new team mate Lorenzo Zanetti with WSS returnee Gino Rea (CIA Landlords Insurance Honda) joining him on the first podium of the year.
The leading duo were involved in a fight in the early laps before gradually breaking away from the 3rd place fight involving Rea, supersport rookie Kyle Smith (Pata Honda WSS Team) and Ratthapark Wilairot (CORE Motorsport Thailand) who completed the top 5 in that order.
For Cluzel it was the second year in succession that he has tasted the winner’s champagne in Australia after winning the shortened opening race 12 months ago.
Former champion Kenan Sofuoglu’s challenge for the win ended at the start of lap 6, the Turk running off track at speed at turn one aboard his Kawasaki Puccetti Racing machine. He was able to rejoin finishing 6th at the flag after setting the fastest lap of the race on lap 7.
Dominic Schmitter (Team Go Eleven Kawasaki) finished grabbed a top ten finish 9th on his WSS debut ahead of local wildcard Aiden Wagner who raced his Oz Wildcard Racing Yamaha to a very credible 13th. Glenn Scott (AARK Racing) followed his compatriot home in 14th place. Lucas Mahias (Intermoto Kawasaki Ponyexpre) was disappointed to retire to the pits 4 laps from the end after making a claim for the podium in the first half of the race.
Full race results from the opening round of the 2015 World Supersport Championship at Phillip Island, Australia
1. Jules Cluzel FRA MV Agusta RC F3 675
2. Lorenzo Zanetti ITA MV Agusta RC F3 675 +3.494s
3. Gino Rea GBR CIA Insurance Honda CBR600RR +8.636s
4. Kyle Smith GBR PATA Honda CBR600RR +8.668s
5. Ratthapark Wilairot THA CORE Thailand Honda CBR600RR +10.613s
6. Kenan Sofuoglu TUR Kawasaki Puccetti ZX-6R +18.608s
7. Alex Baldolini ITA ATK#25 MV Agusta F3 675 +18.701s
8. Roberto Rolfo ITA Lorini Honda CBR600RR +18.741s
9. Dominic Schmitter SUI GO Eleven Kawasaki ZX-6R +21.333s
10. PJ Jacobsen USA Intermoto Kawasaki ZX-6R +26.448s
11. Christian Gamarino ITA GO Eleven Kawasaki ZX-6R +26.979s
12. Marco Faccani ITA Kawasaki Puccetti ZX-6R +26.992s
13. Aiden Wagner AUS Oz Wildcard Yamaha YZF-R6 +34.058s
14. Glenn Scott AUS AARK Honda CBR600RR +36.066s
15. Fabio Menghi ITA VFT Yamaha YZF-R6 +36.624s
16. Kevin Wahr GER SMS Racing Honda CBR600RR +37.284s
17. Alex Phillis AUS Lorini Honda CBR600RR +42.091s
18. Kieran Clarke GBR CIA Insurance Honda CBR600RR +1m 07.842s
19. Marco Ramirez ESP CAT/exit Kawasaki ZX-10R +1m 07.976s
Riccardo Russo ITA CIA Insurance Honda CBR600RR 3 laps completed
Martin Cardenas COL CIA Insurance Honda CBR600RR 4 laps completed
Lucas Mahias FRA Intermoto Kawasaki ZX-6R 5 laps completed
Nacho Calero ESP CAT/exit Kawasaki ZX-10R 5 laps completed