Shakey powers to pole at Oulton Park
Shane 'Shakey' Byrne fired the Be Wiser Ducati to pole position in Datatag Qualifying at Oulton Park, setting the fastest ever lap of the Cheshire circuit to head off Tommy Bridewell and Leon Haslam ahead of this afternoon’s opening race.
With a risk of a shower, the Q3 session saw all the riders head out on track together with James Ellison hitting the top first before Jason O'Halloran moved ahead. Bennetts Suzuki’s Tommy Bridewell was really on a charge as he then displaced the Honda Racing rider from the top.
Byrne though was gunning for a one lap improvement and the Be Wiser Ducati set a blistering pace to edge Bridewell out by 0.137s with Haslam’s time putting him on the front row with the top nine covered by just 0.782s and the top seven under the existing lap record.
O’Halloran will head the second row from Luke Mossey and Ellison after some final last lap improvements in the closing stages of Q3. Peter Hickman, Richard Cooper and John Hopkins complete the top nine which again featured all six manufacturers.
1. Shane Byrne GBR Be Wiser Ducati Panigale R 1m 33.933s
2. Tommy Bridewell GBR Bennetts Suzuki GSX-R1000 1m 34.070s
3. Leon Haslam GBR JG Speedfit Kawasaki ZX-10R 1m 34.112s
4. Jason O'Halloran AUS Honda Racing CBR1000RR 1m 34.199s
5. Luke Mossey GBR Quattro Plant Kawasaki ZX-10R 1m 34.211s
6. James Ellison GBR JG Speedfit Kawasaki ZX-10R 1m 34.318s
7. Peter Hickman GBR JG Speedfit Kawasaki ZX-10R 1m 34.474s
8. Richard Cooper GBR Buildbase BMW S1000RR 1m 34.646s
9. John Hopkins USA ePayMe Yamaha YZF-R1 1m 34.715s
10. Dan Linfoot GBR Honda Racing CBR1000RR 1m 34.682s
11. Michael Laverty GBR Tyco BMW S1000RR 1m 34.690s
12. Glenn Irwin GBR Be Wiser Ducati Panigale R 1m 34.699s
13. Christian Iddon GBR Tyco BMW S1000RR 1m 34.762s
14. Jake Dixon GBR Briggs Equipment BMW S1000RR 1m 34.763s
15. Lee Jackson GBR Buildbase BMW S1000RR 1m 34.875s